Kutahya Tiles and Ceramics Collection is part of the Pera Museum in Istanbul.
Below are some excerpts from the exhibition brochure:
400 pieces representing various periods and styles features a significant area of craftsmanship in Ottoman art. After Iznik, Kutahya was the most important center of ceramic production. Due to the abundant deposits of clay in the area, ceramics were produced in large quantities during the Phyrgian, Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine times. The monochrome glazed bricks found in the minaret of Kursunlu Mosque dated 1377 and the turquoise and dark blue panels were used for sultans tombs.
18th century ceramics have a white or cream colored paste and feature a white slip and transparent glaze. In underglazed decorated tiles, the motifs were are painted in green, turquoise, yellow, cobalt blue, purple and red ocher and are outlined in black.
Kutahya tiles and ceramics developed as “urban art” along the line that falls between Iznik ceramics, which primarily represent “court art” and Canakkale ceramics which are often regarded as “folk art”.
Muslim and Christian craftsmen work together at the Kutahya workshops in the production of tiles and ceramic objects designed to meet the needs of both communities. Dated to the 18th century, tiles with abstract floral motifs in cobalt blue one a white background which appear for the first time in this period.